Unlike dedicated MOBA or MMO mice, FPS mice are generally designed not to be as flashy. They often don’t have a lot of side buttons and will at most have two. What counts is how they perform while gaming.
The FPS gaming mouse for gamers should generally support your gaming. Therefore, the mouse should have a low click latency, consistent sensor technology, and low lift-off distance. In addition, it should feel comfortable for your hand size and preferred grip type.
Whether you prefer the freedom of wireless connectivity or want a reliable wired connection, the best gaming mice for FPS games are usually light and designed for quick and accurate movements.
We reviewed the best gaming mice for FPS gamers and explored features to consider when choosing them.
Our Top Picks for best FPS Gaming mouse
Check Price on Amazon
What Is An FPS Gaming Mouse?
In action video games, a first-person shooter (FPS) refers to when the gamer is playing from the protagonist’s point of view. This genre of games generally maps the gamer’s movements and provides a view of what an actual person would see and do. An FPS Gaming Mouse supports FPS mechanics and allows for precise control and movement while playing.
We reviewed our top 5 picks of the best FPS gaming mice that are sure to support your gaming and give you the needed precision and control.
Best FPS Gaming Mice
- Focus plus 20K DPI Optical Sensor: Auto-calibrates across mouse mat and reduces cursor drift from lift-off and landing for industry-leading precision
- 25% Faster Than Competing Wireless Mice: Razer HyperSpeed wireless technology brings together extreme low-latency and interference reduction for true wireless freedom
- Immersive, Customizable Chroma RGB Lighting: Supports 16.8 million colors w, included preset profiles; syncs with gameplay and Razer Chroma-enabled peripherals and Philips Hue products
- 70 Hours of Intense Gaming: With the benefit of dual connectivity, enjoy up to 120 hours of battery life in Bluetooth mode, or up to 70 hours of ultra-fast performance when switching to HyperSpeed Wireless
- 88g Lightweight Design: Redesigned for better FPS gaming in the most iconic, ergonomic design on the market
The Razer Deathadder is the best FPS gaming mouse in terms the sensor quality. The FPS mouse uses a 20,000 DPI Optical Sensor allowing for more precision and control. The Mouse delivers flawless tracking, even if you move the mouse as fast as you possibly can.
The Deathadder V2 features a great all-around shape allowing for comfort regardless of your grip style. It works for a claw or hybrid claw/palm grip.
The wireless gaming mouse is equipped with wireless razer hyperspeed wireless technology that brings together extreme low-latency and interference reduction allowing true wireless freedom. In addition, it allows for customizable Chroma RGB lighting and features 7 programmable buttons.
If looking for a smaller version, there’s the Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini to consider.
- Old version of G502 with optical gaming sensor (PMW3366)
- Cable Length 6 feet or 1.83 meters
The Logitech G 502 has a somewhat futuristic look to it which makes it stand out. Nevertheless, this is not the only thing that makes it worthy of being the best FPS gaming mouse.
The Logitech G502 boasts high performance, great build quality, and advanced and customizable gaming features. In addition, the mouse comes equipped with an advanced optical sensor with zero acceleration, smoothing, or filtering across the entire DPI range (200-12,000DPI). Hence, you can get excellent tracking accuracy and consistent responsiveness regardless of the sensitivity you set the mouse to.
Additionally, you can have more control while gaming with quick DPI shifting from low to high sensitivity. The mouse features a thumb button that lets you transition between headshot-precise low-sensitivity targeting to lightning-fast high-DPI maneuvers. You can also cycle up and down through as many as five DPI settings with a click.
The mouse features three DPI indicator lights that tell you which setting you are on. The DPI settings can be customized with Logitech Gaming Software (LGS) or the default settings that work great out-of-the-box.
The Logitech G502 makes it easier for you not to have to worry about playing on other devices. It has 3 onboard memory slots; Hence, all your customizations will be saved directly on your mouse.
The scroll wheel is designed for hyper-fast continuous scrolling allowing for precision and speed. In addition, the weighty wheel delivers a smooth, confident, and satisfying control for either mode.
- Meticulously designed in collaboration with many of the world’s leading esports pros. Engineered to win, being the pinnacle of our continued pursuit for the highest levels of performance.
- Ultra-lightweight at under 63 grams, with hyper-minimal redesign achieving nearly 25% weight reduction compared to standard PRO Wireless mouse.
- Powered by Lightspeed, PRO X Superlight is our fastest and most reliable PRO mouse yet.
- Incredibly precise, fast and consistent control with Hero Sensor, designed from the ground up by Logitech G engineers for the best possible gaming performance.
- Large, zero-additive PTFE feet deliver a smooth glide for a pure, fluid connection with the game. System Requirements-Windows 8 or later, macOS 10.11 or later
With this wireless gaming mouse, you’ve got the best of both worlds. Designed to be ultra-lightweight at under 63 grams, the Logitech G Pro X Superlight is sure to surprise at how light it can be while still being wireless.
The FPS mouse features an ambidextrous design and has five programmable buttons. Hence it can be used in both left and right-hand modes. The FPS mouse also features a dock for its Lightspeed dongle, ensuring it won’t get lost during transport.
The Pro X Superlight has been designed to offer precise and efficient control. It features the HERO 2K sensor, providing precision, speed, & consistency for complete confidence during FPS tournaments.
The FPS mouse features large, zero-additive PTFE feet that deliver a smooth glide allowing for minimized frictions and a fluid connection with the game. In addition, the scroll wheel has been designed to be super lightweight allowing for more control and precision.
- Custom TrueMove3 12,000 CPI, 350 IPS optical 1-to-1 tracking esports sensor
- Legendary SteelSeries Sensei ambidextrous design for claw and palm grip styles
- Two-zone, multi-color Prism RGB illumination for customizable lighting. Save all your performance and lighting settings directly to the Sensei 310
- Compatible operating system is windows, mac, and linux. Usb port required. Software is steelseries engine 3.10.12 plus, for windows 7 or newer and mac osx 10.8 or newer
The Steelseries can easily be considered the best FPS gaming mouse for ambidextrous gaming.
The mouse features an ambidextrous design that suits both claw and palm grip styles.
The Sensei is designed to have more grip hence allowing you to have more control while playing long gaming sessions. In addition, the mouse is equipped with the TrueMove3 optical mouse sensor that assures ultra-low-latency, rapid-response tracking. As a result, the wired gaming mouse delivers the most natural and accurate mouse movement.
The ambidextrous mouse offers from 3,500 to 12,000 CPI. At the same time, the TrueMove3 uses new, advanced jitter reduction to deliver natural mouse movement without slowing down response time.
It’s the best gaming mouse if looking for a small, ambidextrous, and light mouse.
- Game in the Fast Lane: Play with hyper fast, sub 1ms Slipstream Corsair Wireless Technology, or connect with low latency Bluetooth or USB wired
- Weighs Just 99 grams: Lightweight construction, so you can play longer without fatigue
- Simple Setup Gets You Playing Faster: Just connect the wireless adapter to a USB port and switch the mouse on
- Contoured Shape and Rubber Side Grips: For long term comfort and a confident grip
- Up to 60 hours of Battery Life: Play uninterrupted with battery life that lasts for days, or plug in for wired mode to keep playing while charging
If looking for a budget mouse, the Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless offers a great deal of functionality at a good value.
It’s the best wireless gaming mouse for those looking for quality and not breaking the bank.
The FPS mouse is designed to be lightweight, at 99 grams, allowing you to play longer without experiencing stress and fatigue.
The mouse features an ergonomic design with a contoured shape and rubber side grips. This assures long-term comfort and great grip. In addition, the mouse features 6 programmable buttons allowing you to take full control while gaming.
The mouse has a powerful, high-DPI sensor, functional RGB lighting, and two programmable, convenient thumb buttons. In addition, the Harpoon RGB wireless offers Bluetooth functionality so that you can use it with tablets, smartphones, and streaming devices — or with a computer, if you don’t feel like hooking up a USB dongle.
The mouse offers up to 60 hours of battery life and can be plugged in for wired mode to keep charging.
Features To Consider When Buying Best FPS Gaming Mouse
a) Type of Sensor
Gaming mice mainly feature two types of sensors: optical and laser. In terms of performance and precision, they are both quite similar.
- Optical Sensor: It refers to LED light-emitting bulbs, and they are generally less expensive. In addition, they produce some noise as they move and can affect how precisely the move will replicate your movements.
- Laser Sensor: It majorly relies on infrared light reflected off the surface below the mouse. They tend to be more expensive and can track movement with more precision. Laser sensors offer a higher DPI range to the user but consume more power.
DPI or in full Dots Per Inch refers to the measure of how sensitive a mouse is. A higher DPI gives you accuracy and precision when you don’t have a lot of desk space. When you’ve got the best gaming mouse with a high DPI, you don’t need to have steady hand movement and be very precise to make accurate cursor movements. However, when you’ve got a mouse with a low DPI, you’ll need to move the cursor on the screen.
A gamer with slower hand movements is best suited with the best gaming mouse with a high DPI. In contrast, a gamer with faster hand movements is best suited with the best gaming mouse with a low DPI.
It’s advisable to find the best gaming mouse that can toggle between a high and low DPI rating. Nevertheless, DPI is subjective when it comes to FPS games where precision is required in the shooting.
c) Wired/ Wireless
With the advancement of technology, gaming mice now come in both wired and wireless models.
Hence when searching for the best FPS gaming mouse, you can choose either model, depending on your needs. For instance, if you settle on a wireless mouse, it means you’re likely not to experience any latency issues.
On the other hand, wired mice tend to offer a lot of features at lower prices. However, the tethered cord may pose a challenge for some. Hence wireless gaming mice seem to be more practical for many users though they do require to be frequently charged.
d) Grip Style
When shopping for the best FPS gaming mouse, it’s essential to consider the mouse’s grip style, design, and overall build.
The mouse should ideally fit perfectly in your hand and feel comfortable even if using it for a long time. Three grip types are generally preferred by gamers:
- Claw grip: The middle and index fingers are arched backward to make a perpendicular angle for clicking.
- Fingertip grip: Only two fingers and the thumb are on the mouse. The hand stays in the air.
- Palm grip: The hand rests entirely on the mouse.
It’s important to know your preferred grip, as different mice are designed for different grips.
Something else worth noting is that left-handed players are better off with the best gaming mouse designed for left-handed use. So if you come across the term ambidextrous, it means that the gaming mouse is suitable for both right and left-handed use.
e) Build Quality
The build quality of the mouse also matters. It should not feel cheap or hollow when you hold it in your hand or when you apply a bit of pressure. The scroll wheel should be sturdy, and the buttons easy to reach. ( The buttons should strike a balance between not being too easy to be clicked and not being too difficult to reach).
If settled on a wired mouse, then it’s key to look at the cable. The cable should be lightweight and flexible, allowing for faster and uninterrupted movements. If the cable is braided, this makes it even better.
Generally, most first-person shooter gaming mouse models offer multiple customization options to the user. One of the simplest yet very popular features found in the FPS mouse for customization is RGB lighting. This allows you to change the color of your mouse according to the color scheme of your gaming scheme.
Furthermore, some gaming mice allow you to adjust the weight of a mouse using included weight inserts. In addition, you can change the shape of a few gaming mouse models that come with magnetic panels for changing the mouse shape as you’d like.
While shopping for the best gaming mouse for first-person shooter gaming, you’re likely to notice that they come in various shapes and sizes. The mice also have different weights. A light mouse tends to be better suited for first-person shooter gaming.
This is because it is easy to flick and allows you to adjust your aim. Also, if you lift your mouse a lot, the lightweight mouse ensures that your arm does not get any stress over a long period of time.
h) Mouse Sensitivity
Generally, it’s advisable to use gaming mice with low sensitivity while playing FPS games. This is because, if using high sensitivity gaming mice, even small movements can cause big changes in your game.
Hence, using the best gaming mouse with a DPS or CPI rating set to 400 DPI or 800 DPI is recommended. The sensitivity should also be comfortable and in line with your mousepad size and still offers high precision for smaller movements.