Modern PCs are increasingly being packed with higher processing powers to accommodate intense activities such as gaming and other work tasks. In this article, we will focus on the motherboard hardware, specifically the LGA 1151 motherboard.
Essentially, we have compiled a detailed buying guide for the best LGA 1151 motherboard. However, let’s first go over the LGA 1151 motherboard to understand its essence if you are a gaming fanatic or just want a smooth-running PC for daily tasks.
Our Top Picks for the best LGA 1151 Motherboard
Check Price on Amazon
What is an LGA 1151 Motherboard?
The LGA 1151 motherboard is an Intel processing unit that supports the fast generation of memory support DDR4, DDR3L, and DDR3. It is the successor of LGA 1150 and the predecessor of the latest LGA motherboards, LGA 1200. This Intel-compatible CPU socket is meant to provide modern gaming PCs and work computers with higher processing capacities at the benefit of sleek and effective hardware.
Modern PCs have increased cable and wireless connectivity through this modern motherboard type for easy data transfer and reception. Furthermore, when it comes to memory, storage and chipsets, the 1151 motherboard has all these features enhanced for improved processing. Accordingly, the LGA 1151 microprocessor offers some of the best motherboards compatible with 8th and 9th gen Intel CPUs.
There are different LGA 1151 motherboard sizes, including Mini-ITX, ATX, and MicroATX. Having understood the essence of the LGA 1151 motherboard, let’s get into in-depth reviews of the five best products in this category.
- 15% better in performance to noise ratio, FUMA2 has reached itself to next level. Dual heatsinks and fans accelerate and enhance heat dissipation for top-tier performance. 6 x 6mm heatpipes and copper plate base ensure heat from CPU and drop temps. Ideal for mainstream, gaming PC, even overclocking with high TDP processor(9900k, 9700k, 9600k,3700x, 3800x, 3900x, 3950x).
- Asymmetrical design allows unrestricted use of any front RAM slot, and cut-out fin design gives clearance(55mm) of rear RAM slot(LGA2011/2066). Standing only 155mm tall, the cooler fits most PC case on the market.
- Using Kaze Flex 120mm quiet fan(Fluid Dynamic Bearing), FUMA2 use two different thickness(25mm & 15mm) PWM fans rotating in opposite direction. This generates higher static pressure as well as stable airflow thus pushing cooling performance to maximum while keeping silent operation. Addition fan clips is included to add 3rd fan.
- Premium HPMS III is easy-to-install and secure for socket INTEL LGA 775, 1150/1151/1155/1156, 1200, 1366, 2011(V3)Square ILM, 2066 Square ILM & AMD AM2(+), AM3(+), AM4, FM1, FM2(+). This mounting system gives precise contact pressure to CPU and support most popular sockets and motherboards on the market.
- Product dimension: (W)137 x (D)131 x (H)154.5mm, Weight: 1000g. Included thermal compound paste and Y fan cable for installing both fans on one CPU fan header.
Our first recommendation for the best LGA 1151 motherboard is the MSI Z390-A PRO gaming motherboard. The MSI is a popular brand in manufacturing diverse high-performing hardware such as this premium motherboard for gaming. This form factor ATX motherboard is built with a z390 chipset with overclocking support. Also, it has a versatile connectivity option with either 8th and 9th Intel gen processors.
When it comes to its connectivity array, it also has four memory slots with a maximum capacity of 128 GB RAM at memory speeds of 4400 MHz. Moreover, it has six expansion slots, six SATA ports, four DIMM slots, and an M.2 SSD slot for the ultimate gaming experience. Other peripheral connectivity options in its rear panel include USB type c port, usb Type-A ports, HDMI slot, VGA slot, Ethernet, DVI-D, and PS-2. We recommend this MSI hardware as an entry-level motherboard that comes with 3 years of warranty.
- Supports 9th i9-9900K, i7-9700K, i5-9600K and 8th Generation Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron processors for LGA 1151 socket
- Supports dual channel DDR4 Memory, up to 4400(OC) MHz; DIMM Slots: 4.Operating system: Support for Windows 10 64-bit
- 2x TURBO M.2, Intel Optane Memory Ready, Turbo USB 3.1 GEN2; USB 2.0 ports (Front): 4
- MYSTIC LIGHT: 16.8 million colors / 29 effects. Connect RGB or RAINBOW LED strips with addressable headers and create an RGB gaming PC. Control Mystic Light SYNC enabled products
- Built for high-performance gaming - Extended heatsink, ATX form factor ready for multi-GPU
Our second recommendation also comes from the MSI gaming motherboards. The MSI MPG Z390 AC LGA1151 is ideal for gaming enthusiasts and workstation computers. Specifically, the performance of this 1151 motherboard is enabled through its full-size ATX board size, which offers diverse connectivity options for Intel CPUs. In addition, its incredible chipset has an overclocking base for memory and processor, which is compatible with 8th and 9th gen Intel CPUs.
Due to its large size and capacity, it comfortably supports four RAM slots of 128 GB at 4400 MHz, two M.2 SSD slots, and six SATA3 ports. Additionally, you can also benefit from the connectivity array of this gaming motherboard which includes Ethernet, Wi-Fi AC, Display port, audio ports, Bluetooth connectivity, USB 3.2 Gen 1 types C header, and type-A ports. Also, regardless of the cooling ambiance of your CPU, this motherboard ensures that the clock speeds aren’t reduced during operation. Similar to our top MSI motherboard, the MPG Z390 AC LGA1151 comes with a warranty of 3 years.
- Supports 9th and 8th Gen Intel Core processors
- Dual channel non-ECC unbuffered DDR4
- New hybrid digital PWM design
- High quality audio capacitors and audio noise guard with LED trace path lighting
- Ultra-fast M.2 with PCIe Gen3 x4 and SATA interface
Another excellent choice among the best motherboards for gaming is the GIGABYTE B365M DS3H LGA 1151 motherboard. This type of gaming hardware is ideal for daily basic computer utilities. Even before getting to its enabling features, this 1151 motherboard is has a low price tag. Regarding its capacities, it is a Micro ATX form factor which translates to the lack of overclocking capacity.
Furthermore, it has a B365M chipset with an adequate range of connectivity features, including four memory spaces for fitting a maximum of 64 GB RAM, one M.2 slot, six SATA link ports, three PCIe expansion allowances, and other processing enablers. However, due to its smaller form factor, it lacks USB type C and Wi-Fi connectivity. On the brighter side, it still has a wide range of connectivity options, including HDMI port, Intel gigabit LAN port, DVI-D, VGA, PS-2, and audio slots, adequate for high-performance gaming.
Despite its limited chipset and form factor, it still ranks as the best motherboard because of the above connectivity features and compatibility to both 9th and 8th gen Intel processors. To add to its tight budget suitability, it has prices powered by a warranty of 3 years for after-sale services. Overall, its price, functionality, and after-sale warranty promise an affordable quality gaming experience.
- Supports 9th and 8th Intel Core processors
- Dual channel non ECC unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs
- Intel optane memory ready
- 12+1 Phases digital VRM solution with DrMOS
- Advanced thermal design with direct touch heat pipe
If you desire a cheap 1151 motherboard without compromising performance, then the GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA should be your go-to pc motherboard. Precisely, it is built with three M.2 SSD slots for enabling super gaming speeds, Ethernet, Intel Wi-Fi Wave2, and a full RGB kit with ALC1220 audio and multiple headers. Unlike the top contenders in our list, this gigabytes 1151 motherboard offers polished aesthetics and performance at an affordable price.
However, its RGB kit can be too flashy for restrained gaming pc components. Luckily, the RGB kit is adjustable but still with the possibility of clashing. Despite its excessive flashiness, it is a capable gaming motherboard compatible with 8th and 9th gen Intel processors.
- Designed exclusively for 8th generation Intel Core processors to maximize connectivity and speed with dual NVMe M.2, USB 3.1 Gen2 and Intel Optane Memory compatibility
- ASUS OptiMem improves memory stability and performance by improving trace isolation between PCB layers to maintain signal integrity even at higher frequencies
- Gamer's Guardian hardware-level safeguards provide component longevity and reliability
- FanXpert 4 Core allows for dynamic fan calibration and optimized system cooling while gaming
- Pre-mounted I/O shield ensures streamlined installation and represents ROG's attention to detail and quality
Our list will not be complete without the ASUS ROG Strix B360, which offers great gaming performance with optimal connectivity. This 1151 motherboard is designed for exclusive application with 8th generation Intel processors. Some of its enabling features include a USB 3.1 Gen2 port, Optane memory capacity, FanXpert 4 core, and an integrated graphics interface.
This excellent ASUS ROG motherboard is also reliable and durable due to its gamer’s guardian PC hardware. Additionally, its FanXpert allows for optimal cooling to ensure this motherboard operates at its best. The installation of this ASUS ROG Strix is also easy with a streamlined pre-mounted I/O shield.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best LGA 1151 Motherboard
While choosing the best gaming motherboards, you should prioritize the platform compatibility. Specifically, the best platforms that promise a PC gamer great performances include AMD and Intel. Subsequently, depending on the motherboard CPU socket, the best gaming motherboards are those compatible with either of the platforms. Currently, the ultimate Intel platform is 11700k which would be compatible with the best Intel motherboards.
In enabling the efficient flow of data between your gaming PC’s processor, peripherals, and memory, you have to get an LGA motherboard with a compatible chipset. Choosing the best chipset will allow you to match your gaming needs to the appropriate processing and graphics features. For instance, a gamer would consider the RAM and GPU capacities to facilitate the preferred gaming needs, both of which are found on a chipset.
Choosing the best gaming motherboard between Intel and AMD, a suitable chipset should possess high data-speed USB ports, high-speed RAM capacities, increased connectivity, and other relevant features. The reason for this is to ensure that your gaming computer remains relevant to a wide range of gaming generations. Therefore, a feature-rich motherboard chipset is an incredible gaming computer hardware for enabling your specific gaming needs. Of course, Other future brands and upgrades might offer better chipsets, but more features mean better performance with the existing 1151 motherboards.
For instance, not all LGA 1151 motherboards would have the same quality of chipset compatibility with your AMD or Intel CPU. In addition, they would vary in the RAM and multiple graphics cards, among other key features. Accordingly, you can consult reviews of any leading digital publisher for the diverse chipset considerations.
Another compatibility aspect to consider is the socket that connects a motherboard to a CPU. Again, it would beat logic to acquire the best gaming motherboard in the market, but it is not compatible with your CPU.
The LGA 1200 is the latest type of socket and works best with 10th or 11th generation processors. In the case of 9th generation processors, it would be best to use the LGA 1151 motherboard socket. When it comes to the best AMD motherboards, you should prefer the AM4 CPU sockets. Depending on your CPU and processor, the best motherboard for gaming should be matched with a corresponding socket.
4. Form Factor
The fourth factor to consider while buying the best gaming motherboard is the form factor. In simple terms, this refers to the size of the motherboards available in the market. Motherboards vary in size depending on the space flexibility of your PC. For example, a large computer can hold a full-sized motherboard, unlike compact computers that would be suited by compact motherboards.
Some of the common form factors include the Mini-ITX board, form factor ATX, and MicroATX. Even with matching PC and motherboard size, a large form factor is bound to have more significant features than a mini ITX, such as more expansion slots, storage options, and ultra settings. Essentially, a great motherboard should be a good fit for your computer frame. Conversely, if you prefer a larger motherboard that your computer cannot fit, you should consider upgrading your PC.
Further on choosing the best LGA 1151 motherboard, you should consider the connectivity capabilities of the product you choose. Connectivity, in this case, refers to DIMM slots, PCIe slots, USB ports, HDMI ports, and storage connections. Depending on different user preferences, different motherboards have different connectivity characteristics. Under connectivity, you will get Ethernet, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi connectivity for enhanced online and multiplayer gaming.
After gaming, your PC will require to store data before powering off. Most commonly, the hard disk and solid-state drives are known to be the hardware for storage. To connect these storage facilities with your computer, you need the SATA, which is found on a motherboard. Therefore, the best LGA 1151 motherboard should have the most effective SATA, such as SATA 3.0, which has a transfer rate of 6 GBPS.
Besides the SATA connectors, a great motherboard should have multiple storage slots for quality gaming performance. In the end, it is storage that will accommodate the games’ setups and progresses. Subsequently, you should get premium storage with quality and fast connectors for fast game launches and saves.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS) on The Best LGA 1151 Motherboard
1. Are LGA 1150 or 1151 gaming motherboards better?
LGA 1151 gaming motherboards are definitely better than LGA 1150 motherboards. The former offers better performance and future-proof connectivity with increased memory socket support. Specifically, LGA 1151 supports DDR4 and DDR3 RAM sticks, unlike 1150, which supports only DDR3 RAM. Progressively, the LGA 1200 is better than LGA 1151 on the features of memory and future-relevant connectors.
2. Is the LGA 1151 motherboard ideal for a gaming PC?
Yes, it is adequate for gaming even with more advanced motherboards in the market. This type of motherboard is ideal because of its compatibility with 8th and 9th generation Intel processors. Considering the processing, memory, and storage connectors the LGA 1151 motherboards offer, they are a good bargain for a high-performance gaming computer. You can review our product reviews for the best products in this category.