For a while now, the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor has become a favorite for high-intensity tasks such as video editing. If you want to get the 12-core, 24-thread processor, you will also need to get a good motherboard to get the best potential. So, which is the best motherboard for Ryzen 9 3900X?
Before we answer this question, let us explore a few things about this powerful processor and the best features to look for in your new motherboard.
What is the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X?
- The world's most advanced processor in the desktop PC gaming segment
- Can deliver Ultra-fast 100+ FPS performance in the world's most popular games
- 12 Cores and 24 processing threads, bundled with the AMD Wraith Prism cooler with color controlled LED support
- 4.6 GHz max Boost, unlocked for overclocking, 70 MB of game Cache, DDR 3200 support. OS Support-Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition, RHEL x86 64-Bit, Ubuntu x86 64-Bit. Operating System (OS) support will vary by manufacturer
The Ryzen 9 3900X is an AMD processor that comes with 12 cores and 24 threads. It offers the best high performance at a base frequency of 3.8GHz and a boost frequency of 4.6 GHz. In addition, it has a massive 64MB L3 cache, making it a great processor for gaming, 3D rendering, a video editing PC, and the workplace, among other high-performance task environments.
If you have this powerful processor, it is best to get a compatible motherboard to improve its performance. As you know, the motherboard is the backbone of your computer, so you need to get the best one.
While we will share five of the best motherboards for Ryzen 9 3900X, it is best to consider several parameters like your ideal form factor, compatible chipsets and sockets, expansion slots, memory speed, and even the size, among other factors before buying any of them.
That said, let’s jump right into the best motherboards for your AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor; we discuss their best features, pros, and cons to make it easier for you to decide. Also, we will discuss the mentioned critical buying parameters later on in the article, so keep reading.
The Asus ROG Strix X570-E is the best motherboard for Ryzen 9 3900X for a couple of reasons. It is affordable, compatible with 2nd and 3rd generation Ryzen processors, and comes with a comprehensive cooling operating system. It also comes with a range of USB ports for expansion and, it offers excellent overclocking for the Ryzen 3900x.
The motherboard has the ideal ATX form factor for this processor. In addition, it is an excellent motherboard for gamers as it comes with PCI-E 4.0 integration and a conveniently wireless connection.
At this price point, this Asus motherboard has all the best features to guarantee compatibility with your AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor. According to the manufacturer, it is a DIY model that you will find easy to install. In addition, it has a pre-mounted I/O shield and an ASUS safe slot, among other components that guarantee durability and endurance.
However, some reviewers noted it’s best to ensure your BIOS is up to date before installing this Asus motherboard. Others also stated an inconvenience caused by the lack of onboard display to allow performance tracking. All in all, this is a great motherboard to use with the Ryzen 9 3900X processor; it is affordable and compatible with AMD’s series, thus ideal for long-term use.
- It is an affordable motherboard
- PCI-E 4.0 integrated
- Ideal motherboard for high-performance tasks
- Easy to install
- Compatible with most AMD series
- The comprehensive cooling system is a plus
- High fidelity audio
- Some reported issues with the PC's BIOS running smoothly
- No onboard display to monitor performance
When looking for an ideal motherboard for your processor, you need to consider several factors, key among them, cooling. This Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard comes with one of the most premia and carefully crafted heatsinks. The heatsink is made with aluminum fins and encased in a copper pipe to tackle overheating from all sides. Additionally, the motherboard features a Smart Fan 5 for even better cooling performance.
The Wi-Fi 6 interface is another top feature you will love for fast connections. In addition, this motherboard also comes with 14 direct Infineon phases to offer reliability when looking for the fastest speeds and, thus, ultra-fast performance.
This motherboard has two more features that set it apart from other options you can use with your Ryzen 9 3900X processor. These are the 2.5GBPS Ethernet LAN system and 3 PCIe 4.0 slots. In addition, the ATX form factor is suitable for this processor, while the DDR4 memory support is more than enough for gaming PCs and music enthusiasts.
- It comes with three PCIe ports
- DDR4 XMP Support
- Comes in a sleek design
- Premium heatsink plus a Smart Fan 5 for the best cooling
- Wi-Fi 6 interface and 14 direct Infineon phases for fast connectivity
- Compatible with 2nd and 3rd generations Ryzen processors
- 4400MHz memory speed
- Ideal for gaming
- A bit costly compared to the Asus ROG Strix X570-E motherboard
This motherboard for Ryzen 9 3900X is compatible with 2nd and 3rd generation Ryzens. It is an ideal option for gamers and comes with an AM4 socket. It also features Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 modules plus the dual Gigabit LAN and full RGB support to enhance performance.
This MSI motherboard supports DDR4 RAM, plus, a PCIe slot and a DAC chip allow faster performance and the best audio features. Audio for this motherboard is further advanced by the nahimic three software and boost four technology to guarantee a completely immersive experience.
Cooling is another feature that makes or breaks any motherboard. Now, as you already have one of the most powerful processors, this MSI motherboard with an AMD X570 chipset comes equipped with a patented fan design that keeps your PC cool. The powerful Frozr heatsink uses a propeller blade technology with double ball bearings to guarantee maximum cooling for the best performance.
This motherboard is your best buy if you are looking for the best overclocking capability and fast and easy installation; it also comes with the pre-installed IO shielding that protects the ports from electrostatic discharge.
- It is the best premium motherboard for the money
- Offers DDR4 memory
- Compatible with second and third-generation Ryzen processors
- Excellent audio quality
- Patented fan design for maximum cooling
- Easy to install
- It comes with Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 modules
- Not the most powerful LEDs
It is an excellent budget motherboard to get for your Ryzen 9 3900X processor. However, it does not come with a host of premium features compared to other motherboards on this list, but its price and PCIe slots make it a contender for you if you do not intend to use your PC for very heavy tasks.
Talking of PCIe slots, this motherboard comes with six of them running at 3.0. In addition, you will also get other slots with different performances for your PC needs. One gain about this motherboard is the DDR4 support plus the M.2 sticks that guarantee outstanding performance.
Finally, this motherboard comes with an AM4 CPU socket, a Digi power design, and an excellent 6-power design. You are also guaranteed effective cooling with a water cooling system with 105, 95, and 65W systems.
- Very affordable
- Supports water cooling for the best performance
- Supports DDR4 memory
- It comes with six PCIe slots
- Six power phase design
- It does not offer many premium features
If you have a gaming PC and feel like an excellent motherboard would pair well with your Ryzen 9 3900X processor, the Asus TUF gaming motherboard is your best buy. It comes with an AM4 CU socket, supports DIMM memory, comes with an AMD 570X chipset, and is compatible with all 2nd and 3rd generation Ryzen processors.
Despite being reasonably priced, this motherboard comes with the strongest features you need for your demanding gaming tasks. For instance, it allows the best power supply using ProCool connectors and durable capacitors. Additionally, it uses a complete cooling setup with an Active PCH heatsink, a VRM heatsink, hybrid fan headers, an M.2 heatsink, and a Fan Xpert.
This motherboard has next-gen connectivity and powerful gaming networking for the most satisfying experience. It also comes in a sleek design and offers excellent audio features. The only dealbreaker with the product is limited PCIe ports.
- Great cooling capabilities
- It comes with integrated RGB LEDs for the ultimate gaming experience
- It comes with military-grade TUF components for endurance
- Excellent gaming networking, including Bluetooth 5.0 and MU-MIMO compatibility
- It comes in a sleek design
- Limited PCIe ports
How to Buy A Good Motherboard for All Processors
If you want to upgrade your PCs, you then need to invest in a good motherboard for now and the future. A good motherboard has the following features;
- Chipsets and sockets for your CPU. Motherboards, much like computers or processors, are very different from each other. Thus, you need to fully understand your CPU to determine which sockets and chipsets you will need.
- The form factor. When buying a motherboard, you will notice some different sizes, and these are the form factors. Again, it is best to understand what type of CPU you want to build. The motherboards in this review are all standard ATX motherboards, but you can also find the best mini ITX motherboard or the best micro ATX motherboard for your needs.
- Expansion options. When buying a motherboard, you will also need to consider the number of components you need for the best performance. Elements such as graphics cards, networking, cards, sound cards, and more storage options are vital for the best performance. So, when buying the next motherboard, consider the ports available, and contrast them with the different components you will need to use for your tasks.
Factors to Consider for your Best Motherboard for Ryzen 9 3900X
While you have the essential features to look for in a motherboard plus five motherboard options to use with your AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor, you may still need to look further for other motherboard options. If that’s the case, there are several important considerations when you want a motherboard that works perfectly with the Ryzen 9 3900X. These are;
Before buying your motherboard, understand what features are compatible with the Ryzen 9 3900X processor. It is pretty essential to look for a motherboard that works with second and third-generation AMD Ryzen processors. But, for this particular processor, your need 3rd generation compatibility for the computer parts to work.
Before buying any new motherboard for Ryzen 9 3900X, make sure it will support the processor and the CPU. As such, look for an AM4 socket found on the processor. While its socket will guarantee compatibility for your current processor, it is also a standard AMD pocket size, meaning you can also use the motherboard with other future AMD processors.
c) Overclocking capabilities
When you need to replace an older motherboard to complement your processor, you probably want it to run faster. Overclocking is a process that forces your computer to run faster and makes an important consideration when you need to get the best out of your Ryzen 9 3900X.
Now, most Ryzen processors use Infinity Fabric, a memory speed that decreases latency when your processor is working. This processor is already fast, so if you want better performance, you will need to invest in a motherboard with an extensive Qualified Vendor List (QVL) to improve RAM.
When buying your motherboard to use with this AMD processor, look for a quality chipset such as the X570, which comes with a PCI-E 4.0 bandwidth to allow you access ultra-high-speed storage.
e) BIOS updates
Before buying any flagship motherboard for Ryzen 9 3900X, ensure your BIOS is up-to-date to prevent failures. Alternatively, you can also check that the motherboard supports BIOS updates to guarantee fast performance.
f) Expansion slots
When buying a motherboard, one thing to always double-check is expandability support. One factor you need to consider is storage expansion, and towards this, you can look for a motherboard that has ample SATA ports and Multi GPU support.