Internet is increasingly becoming part of daily tasks, and no one would desire any slow or poor home network. Also, we are constantly acquiring wireless gadgets for convenient use around any room of the house. Accordingly, it would help if you also had convenient internet connectivity while relaxing in your backyard or bedroom.
What is the best long range router?
Check Price on Amazon
We have therefore compiled a detailed buying guide for the best WiFi router for long-range. Even so, let’s first understand the meaning and intention of a long-range router.
What is a Long Range Router?
A long-range wireless router is meant to distribute faster and stronger network signals, especially in a wide area. Essentially, it eliminates the limitation of solid obstacles and effectively feeds quality internet to many devices without lagging or buffering.
To enable this incredible function, most of the long-range routers are built with multiple antennas and additional special features such as Beamforming, WiFi 6 technology, and range boosters, among other enabling features. Having understood the meaning and purpose of a long-range router, let’s look at the five best products in this category.
- OneMesh Compatible Router- Form a seamless WiFi when work with TP-Link OneMesh WiFi Extenders
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, Ideal as a gaming router
Our first choice for the best WiFi router for long-range is the TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750. This dual-band wireless router works best to ensure that the Wi-Fi signals reach all intended areas by providing fast speeds and stamping out dead zones. For long-range functionality, the Archer A7 dual-band router has three exterior antennas.
If you desire seamless 4k streaming, this router can upgrade to high internet speeds of 1750 Mbps for reduced buffering. You can also enjoy quality gaming through the four Gigabit LAN ports for faster access to multiple wired devices. This TP-Link Archer router also supports storage sharing through its single 2.0 USB port.
The TP-Link archer router allows users to replace or adjust the antennas for the best internet experiences. Additionally, its management settings allow for remote control of your home network settings, such as creating a guest network. Its configuration can be done via the Tether app on your smartphone. Eventually, this is an ideal long-range internet router for effective internet speeds in a wide area and a wide range of network personalization.
- Ultra-performance Mesh WiFi network blankets every inch of your home in super fast and seamless WiFi connectivity - room to room, wall to wall, floor to floor
- Eliminates WiFi dead zones and buffering - 5,000 square feet of consistent coverage - with speeds up to 3Gbps
- The most award-winning Mesh WiFi system on the planet: PC Mag, CNET, Wirecutter, Forbes, SmallNetBuilder
- Maintains speed even as more devices use your WiFi at the same time, thanks to patented tri-band technology
- NETGEAR Armor protects your family's WiFi with an automatic shield of security across all your connected devices with a 30-day free trial
Another top pick in the category of long-range WiFi routers is the NETGEAR Orbi tri-band router. This mesh router can adequately provide high-speed internet in areas with a maximum range of 5,000 sq ft with just two mesh Wi-Fi units. Furthermore, you can add an extra tri-band wireless router or more for an improved internet experience. This router offers the best mesh network system among tri-band routers, which eliminates the broadcast limits of physical obstacles.
If you desire a personalized Wi-Fi-protected setup, this NETGEAR router features advanced security features with a multi-layer cybersecurity solution for protecting unlimited devices. Besides the Wi-Fi-protected access, you can also benefit from the extensive yet easy customization through a contemporary web browser and mobile app.
- Maximum Range : 3500 Sq Ft
- UNLEASH FASTER SPEED, EVEN MORE POWER: Optimal for devices built to support WiFi 6: Playstation 5, iPhone 11 & 12, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13 & Mac Mini, Ultra Notebooks, Samsung S10 & S20.
- WIFI 6 – STREAM EVERYTHING AT FASTER SPEED: Simultaneously stream uninterrupted movies, games, video calls or download/transfer files at 6 Gbps WiFi speed.
- WORKS WITH ALL INTERNET PROVIDERS: Replace your existing WiFi Router (separate modem or gateway required). Compatible with any Internet Service Provider up to 2Gbps including cable, satellite, fiber, DSL and more.
- EASY TO SET-UP AND MANAGE: Connects to your existing cable modem and sets up and customizes in minutes with the Nighthawk app – easily manage your WiFi settings at the device and network level, test your Internet speed, view speed history and monitor data usage.
If you are searching for a long-range router with the latest technology, the NETGEAR Nighthawk 12 is the best alternative. Specifically, the technology in question is the WiFi 6, which boosts the signal strength and makes your network run at super-fast speeds. Subsequently, you can enjoy quality 4k UHD gaming, streaming, and even video calls in any corner of your home without lagging or buffering.
Despite being a Wi-Fi 6 router, it has full backward compatibility with devices lacking Wi-Fi 6 support. Therefore, you can enjoy a 40% increased data throughput with a 4-times increased capacity across all devices. This router is also a tri-band quality with a mesh mechanism for impressive coverage and signal strength.
Another feature you will find in this long-range internet router is Armor cybersecurity software for improved network security. You can also extensively configure using a Nighthawk app which can run on android and iOS devices. Overall, these enhanced performance, utility, compatibility, and security features make the NETGEAR AX12 rank among the best long-range routers.
- Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) AC5300 wireless router with the latest 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5,000 sq. ft.)
- 1.8GHz 64bit Quad-Core processor maximizes data throughput from 8-ports and dual USB 3.0 for optimizing network traffic and connectivity speeds 3. VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively maximizing your connection speed to gaming servers (available via firmware update)
- VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively maximizing your connection speed to gaming servers (available via firmware update). WAN Connection Type-Internet connection type- Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
- Game IPS Powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection for your gaming network from external attacks and threats, neutralizing them before they reach your network or devices.Power supply:AC Input : 110V~240V(50~60Hz),DC Output : 19 V with max. 3.42 A current
- ROG Game Dashboard gives you access to exclusive features like Game Boost, Game IPS, VPN Fusion, and route-optimized low ping time gaming servers using WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN) – all to help you optimize your gaming network
In case you are looking for a beastly internet companion among the best WiFi routers, look no further! The ASUS ROG Rapture GT has eight high-performance antennas with immense processing power for seamless 4k streaming and VR gaming. In its beastly stature, it is built to provide uninterrupted internet performance through its 64-bit quad-core 1.8 GHz CPU.
Additionally, you can create three independent wireless networks, one on 2.4 GHz and two in the 5 GHz bands using the ASUS ROG Rapture GT. Consequently, you can separate network usages for maximum signal without lagging. Besides the incredible wireless capacity, you can also connect network cables via its eight gigabit LAN ports and two 3.0 USB ports for fast and easy file transfer. An addition to the bargain of this router is its VPN which increases wireless connection security.
Another extra feature that makes this router more desirable among powerful wireless routers is the RangeBoost for enhancing signal strength and speeds in wider coverage. Generally, among the best Wi-Fi routers on our list, this beast of a router guarantees strong signals even through physical obstacles such as walls.
- Maximum Range : 5500 Sq Ft
- Banish WiFi Dead Zone—Tri-band mesh WiFi system with unique antenna placement delivers strong WiFi to every corner of your home providing total wireless speed of 6600Mbps
- Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 Technology— With OFDMA and MU-MIMO ZenWiFi AX enables more efficient stable and faster transmission even when multiple devices are transmitting data at the same time
- Hassle Free Control – 3 steps setup and easy management with ASUS Router App
- Always Up-to-date Protection— The lifetime free network security powered by Trend Micro makes sure your privacy on connected devices is protected
Our list of the best wireless routers for long-range cannot be complete without the ASUS ZenWifi AX6600. If it is within your affordability, you can enjoy its amazing fast speeds and ease of use. It only takes three steps within a few minutes to synchronize your router ready for use. One of the outstanding features of this router is the support of the Wi-Fi 6 system, which makes it capable of handling 6,600 Mbps. Therefore, it is 2.2 times faster than its tri-band WiFi 5 counterparts.
Nonetheless, it would help to match this router with WiFi 6 compatible gadgets to realize its full mesh system potential. Besides the promising performance, you can also benefit from its advanced parental management settings for blocking malicious and inappropriate websites. As the primary controller, you can easily view each network user’s activity and time internet access. Subsequently, these parental control features further stamp its authority among the best Wi-Fi routers.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best WiFi Router for Long Range
Besides knowing a router is long-range, it is important to know how wide is the Wi-Fi signal coverage. Many long-range wireless routers have coverage between 2,500 and 3,500 sq ft, but this is still not the best. The best WiFi router for long-range should cover wide areas up to 5,000 sq ft. A router’s range is determined by the quality of the external antennas and internal hardware. Therefore, a quality long-range internet router should provide a strong wi fi signal for outdoor use, such as in the backyard and patio.
In addition to the range, you need to consider the speed of your router to provide internet. This second consideration also depends on the internet speed of your internet service provider. Subsequently, it is always recommended to get a long-range internet router with speeds that match the speed of the ISP. Alternatively, if you get a router with a higher speed than the internet speeds from your ISP, the better to enjoy the fullest internet speed extents.
Most routers offer a standard 802.11AC capable of handling most internet plans except for larger Gigabit internet plans. Additionally, most of the wireless AC routers have average broadband speeds of 100Mbps.
Still, under the aspect of speed, routers have been installed with the latest technology of Wi-Fi 6. Essentially, a Wi-Fi 6 router tends to work faster and is better compatible with many smart home devices such as phones and laptops. So considerably, it would help if you match a Wi-Fi 6 router with compatible devices to enjoy maximum speeds. Therefore, the best Wi-Fi router with quality speeds for long-range purposes should be matched with the ISP’s speeds and have the latest technology such as Wi-Fi 6 for speed optimization.
3. Router Signal Technology
Conventional long-range routers are known to apply brute force to provide quality signal strength for wide coverage. However, better signal technologies have been introduced with advancements in technology, such as the mesh system, MU-MIMO, and Beamforming.
First, the mesh networks apply a similar network broadcast by multiple routers to create a large network. The main router is usually connected to a modem and several satellite routers, all with a similar network identifier (SSID) and password. Compared to traditional long-range routers, mesh Wi-Fi systems work faster. Moreover, they allow for any optional expansions for better internet speeds.
Secondly, the MU-MIMO (Multi-user-MU, multiple in-MI, multiple out-MO) is designed for Wi-Fi networks with 5GHz 802.11ac. Fundamentally, the MU-MIMO technology coordinates multiple radio antennas within a wireless network for improved long-range performance. Thirdly, Beamforming technology improves signals by forming a concentrated beam directed to any connected wireless devices. Subsequently, a long-range router should have antennas for directing proportionate signal robustness where needed the most.
Eventually, you should buy a long-range router with the latest and most effective technology to enjoy the best internet speeds. The router signal technology of your choice should also be determined by the specific long-range internet purposes you intend to fulfill.
4. Network Management Settings
Furthermore, the best long-range router should have adjustable management settings for different user configuration options. Luckily, most of the Wi-Fi routers come with a user interface for easy customization. Additionally, they also vary in level of compatibility, and you should ensure you buy a router with the configuration options you might need. For instance, you can consider getting a Wi-Fi router with customization settings of parental controls, security configurations, and Quality of Service prioritization.
One of the most important configuration settings for any router is security. Some high-tech routers might benefit you with their firewalls and encryption standards for blocking suspicious network activity. Additionally, your wide coverage router should also provide you with the ability to configure a virtual private network (VPN) for data security. A Wi-Fi router with VPN settings will save you the hassle of install VPN software on multiple devices connected to your router.
Moreover, on parental controls, you should buy a wide covering router that provides you with control over what kids or guests have access to.
5. Number of Users
Besides providing a strong internet connection over a large space, a wide range router also allows more users. Subsequently, multiple connected devices tend to divide the available bandwidth based on the network tasks being run.
To balance the internet distribution, you can consider software that prioritizes certain network traffic for quality speeds. Subsequently, such software is referred to as quality of service (QoS). All in all, the best WiFi router for long-range will provide you with the QoS software for blocking other devices from hogging, and at the same time, allow for multiple connections as per your preference.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best WiFi Router for Long Range
1. Does a wireless signal go through walls?
A wireless signal is often slowed down by concrete walls. Consequently, you might still run internet functions but at rather slower speeds. Nevertheless, you can resolve this by using the best Wi-Fi routers for long-range with enhanced signal robustness even through physical obstacles such as walls.
2. Which long-range routers have the strongest WiFi signal?
Generally, the best wireless router for long-range should have the latest WiFi network technology for maximum performance regardless of physical obstacles. Specifically, high-performing antennas, CPU, a WiFi 6 system, and the addition of a range booster definitely make the best router with the strongest signal. With that regard, this article has provided the five best recommendations for long-range routers with remarkable signal outputs.